|1. Drive Medical||2. Midline||3. Essential Medical|
As you age, your body starts slowing down. Every small activity that used to be so simple before, you suddenly realize, isn’t simple anymore. Everyday movements, like getting in and out of your bed, seem very hard and even risky.
In such times, bed rails can be a great help to the elderly or adults who are dealing with mobility issues. They can safely get in and out of their bed and sleep without the fear of falling down. Now, once you decide to buy bed rails, you need to do some proper research before finalizing your purchase.
There are so many different varieties of bed rails available in the market. Some of them can give more support or hold more weight, while others are of a greater quality at an affordable cost. There can be some with additional features, like padded handles or LED lights for motion sensing.
Therefore, it is quite natural to be confused while going through so many different things and not knowing which one is better for you. That is why this article is here to help you through this research and aid you in finding the best bed rail for elderly.
Things To Look At Before Buying Best Bed Rail For The Elderly
1. Type Of Bed Rail
Bed rails for seniors come in two forms – adjustable bed rails and hospital bed rails. Adjustable rails are really, as the same suggests, adjustable. They are quite flexible with their adjustments. Hence, they can be placed on almost all the beds.
Hospital rails are those bed rails that are made specifically for the hospital beds. They are not as adjustable as adjustable rails since they cater to more of a fixed dimension. Therefore, you need to see whether the person needs the bed rails in their home or hospital before completing your purchase.
2. Height Of Your Bed
This is probably one of the most important aspects to consider before buying bed rails for adults. You have to make sure that the height of your bed is lower than the height of the rails.
A lower bed rail can cause several problems for the elderly. It can be a hassle to fold it and it will be rendered useless. If they can’t use the handles of these rails to get out, the use of these rails becomes negligible. This is why you should always compare the dimensions of your probable bed rail with your bed before you pay for it.
3. Width Of The Rails
Along with the height of rails, their width also plays a big part in deciding the comfort and assistance it can provide to an adult. If the handles of your bed rails are too wide, you won’t be able to hold them while getting in or out of your bed.
Sometimes, it can happen that due to a large width between the handles, a senior only holds one side of the rails. This may lead to accidental slip and fall which can be very dangerous at an old age. Therefore, the best bed rails for elderly are those which have the most adequate width between their handles. It must be wide enough for an adult to fit in but not so much that they have to stretch to hold on to the other handle.
4. Characteristics Of Your Mattress
This may seem like a futile aspect to consider but the gap between your mattress and bed rails must be fixed.
According to the National Center For Patient Safety, It is essential that the distance between the bed rail and mattress or a bed topper must be less than 60 mm (2 3/8 inches) even when the mattress is nudged toward the opposite side of the bed. This ensures the safety of the patient and prevents any accidental falling.
5. Side Sleeper
If you are sleeping alone, you might consider buying bed rails for both sides. But if you sleep with another person and you have a specific side of your bed, then you must select your bed rail accordingly.
There are various bed rails available, depending on the side you sleep on. If you do not sleep alone, there is no need to spend any extra money to buy rails on both sides. It’s better to just put your bed rails on one side.
6. Weight Capacity
The weight capacity of bed rails is one of the most crucial things to contemplate. The majority of the best bed rails for the elderly have a weight capacity of 250 lbs, but you also need to see the quality before trusting the number written on it.
If you are above 250 lbs or you are buying bed rails for someone who is heavier than that, then you must look for a bed rail that supports your desired weight. This guide will give you different options, with various favorable features that will help you come up with the most suitable bed rails for adults.
If you or your loved one likes to visit their friends or relatives quite frequently, then you should also look for a design that is easily portable.
There are many bed rails that are lightweight and easy to be transported from one place to another. They have the ability to be folded into one compact portable unit, making it very convenient and easy for anyone to carry it with them.
Types Of Bed Rails
Bed rails are available in various shapes and sizes. They can be used for a number of different applications. There are different types of bed rails available in the market, depending on how they are attached or how well their frames are made. You may even find special features like LED motion sensing or built-in storage or soft foam, depending on your needs and budget.
The most common types of bed rails are mentioned in the list below.
1. Bed Rail Handles
This kind has a low contour and consumes very less area as compared to some other larger models. They are decent for people who just need a slight amount of leverage to assist them to get in and out of bed. These prototypes generally connect directly to your bed.
2. Crossbar Bed Rails
Bed rails that have many flat crossbars provide you with multiple grip positions at different heights to help you roll over comfortably in bed or push up to a standing position when you are exiting your bed. These models also connect directly to your bed.
3. Bed Rails With Support Legs
These are the best bed rails for the elderly as they can be tucked beneath your mattress. This gives you the added support of two legs that are kept on the floor. These are the bed rails that can easily extend in height or length. A built-in storage pouch can also be provided by some of the brands.
4. Legless Bed Rails
These bed rails are constructed to be tucked between your mattress. They do not have the additional support of the external legs. This kind of bed rail is best for small or standard-sized beds. You can’t really use them with queen-sized or full-sized beds.
Legless bed rails use only their bars as their sole stabilizer. They have adjustable bars and they can come with a storage pouch too. This bed rail will be the best for you if you are on a strict budget and your bed is lower than 15 inches.
5. Fold-Down Bed Rails
These are also called swing down bed rails because they can be folded very easily, permitting free access to the entire bed. This is the best bed rail for the elderly who live with a caregiver. The foldable feature of this bed rail gives space to the person to easily clean the bed and the bed rails without them becoming a hindrance.
If you purchase this kind of bed rail, keep in mind that you can’t store or keep anything beside your bed. It folds outward so it needs clearance space to do that. Adjustable features and storage options can also be provided with this bed railing, depending on the price and brand.
6. Dual Bed Rails
Bed rails that cover both sides of your bed are called “dual bed rails.” If you sleep alone, this is the best bed rail for you. This can also be preferred if your bed is in the middle of your room with no wall support. These bed rails usually come with crossbars to provide extra security and stability. Adjustment features are also available with this category.
Top 10 Best Bed Rails For Seniors 2020
1. Drive Medical Adjustable Height
This Adjustable Height Home Bed Assist can fit on either side of your bed, without giving you any problem with its setup. The handle of this bed rail simply glides underneath the mattress and incorporates an added element on the base railing, “no-slip foam” that assists in holding the railing in place.
This removable handle is made of an all-steel, chrome-plated structure that is very tough, durable, and simple to clean. The entire package consists of three pieces that can be assembled promptly without using any tools. The weight capacity of this product is about 250 lbs.
- The handle is removable which makes it quite easy to clean.
- It can fit on either side of your bed which makes it one of the most convenient bed rails for elderly.
- The frame is made of an all-steel chrome-plated structure which is very strong and durable.
- It can be assembled easily without using any tools.
- Presence of “No-Slip Foam” on the base board for improved stability
- If you have a low frame and standard box spring, the handles aren’t equipped enough to be adjusted short enough for the horizontal support.
- This commodity has a no-return policy.
- The weight of this product is about 8 lbs, which is heavier than the other bed rails mentioned in this article.
2. Medline Bed Assist bar With Storage Pocket
If you are someone who just went through a hip surgery, or you have arthritis then this might be the best bed rail for you. It offers great stability, making you feel secure and protected at every step of your way.
It can fit on either side of your bed, sliding seamlessly between the mattress and box spring. It comes with straps that wrap around your mattress for extra support. You can easily customize the height of these bed railings by a single button. It can also be assembled easily without using any tools.
- It has a very comfortable handle, consisting of a soft grip and a metal structure.
- The accessories like a nylon storage pouch make it one of the best bed rails for the elderly. The size of the pouch is about 13×9 inches.
- The height adjustment feature is quite easy to use.
- You also get a safety strap.
- It can be placed on either side of your bed.
- It is quick and easy to assemble without using any tools.
- It is very lightweight, weighing only about 6 lbs.
- If your mattress is lower than 16 inches from the floor, then this equipment will become too tall for you.
- It can slightly lift your mattress if it becomes too tall for your bed’s dimensions.
- It is slightly expensive.
3. Essential Medical Supply Height Adjustable Hand Bed Rail
This is one of the best bed rails for adults who are on the heavier side. It has a weight capacity of about 300 lbs and safety straps to make you feel more secure and protected. It is also very easy to be folded in a compact form.
The frame is made of durable and strong chrome-plated steel. It can fit any size of the bed, irrespective of your bed being queen-sized or king-sized. The height is adjustable from 17 to 21 inches. The width of this product is about 20 inches.
- It has a weight capacity of 300 lbs.
- It is lightweight as well as portable.
- This can be folded into a compact unit.
- It can fit any size of the bed.
- It has an adjustable height feature.
- It comes with a safety strap.
- The height is much higher than regular sized beds.
4. AdirMed Height Adjustable, Slip Resistant Bed Rail
The armed Height Adjustable is an excellent bedside device for anyone who constantly struggles in climbing in and out of bed. This is the best bed rails for elderly who are temporarily or permanently disabled. This is also easy to install and very convenient to clean. It requires minimal effort in assembling its parts which are removable powder-coated steel parts.
This offers long term durability to you, taking care that you live a long secured life. All you have to do is simply slide the handle under the mattress and it is available for you. It comes with a built-in pouch that can help you keep all your essentials in one place. The weight capacity of this product is about 250 lbs.
- The height and depth are easily adjustable.
- It has long term durability.
- It is built with removable parts, made from powder coating of steel.
- The weight capacity is 250 lbs.
- The handle has a soft comfortable grip.
- It is very easy to install and assemble.
- It also has a built-in pouch to keep all your necessary accessories.
- The dimensions are lower as compared to the other bed rails.
5. Secure EZBR-2 Adjustable Bed Assist Rail
This bed rail comes with a 20-inch wide handle that consists of nonslip soft foam, making sure that your hands can easily hold on to them. It is designed with an extremely durable powder coating of steel for increasing its strength and stability.
It has adjustable height and depth, ranging from 17 inches to 21 inches. This product also comes with a sturdy strap that can help you attach this railing to your mattress. You also get a storage pouch for storing all your necessities. This bed rail is extremely lightweight, weighing only about 6 lbs. Secure EZBR-2 is also very convenient to install and assemble without using any tools.
- The height and depth can be adjusted.
- This can fit on either side of your bed.
- The weight capacity of this bed railing is about 300 lbs.
- The handle is easy to grip and it is made of slip-resistant foam.
- It is very lightweight and portable.
- The installation process is very fast and convenient.
- You are also provided with a high-quality safety strap.
- A nice storage pouch is given that can stretch and it is made of good quality nylon.
- If you are on the heavier side, you might need more than one strap to keep it secured.
- The quality of the strap is a little questionable.
- The size of the straps is small.
- Not suitable for people who use box spring.
6. LumaRail Bed Assist Rail, Support Bar Handle
This bed rail for seniors is great at providing support and stability even in the darkness. Provided with an integrated LED motion sensing light, it ensures that you are entering and exiting the bed safely even at night time. It comes with a lifetime warranty, giving you the promise of long term durability.
It can easily accommodate any mattress or even toppers by increasing the top rail height by 4 inches. This bedrail can easily work with low-level beds. Generally, you need beds up to 16 inches for these bed rails to be beneficial but LumaRail Bed Assist Rail can work easily with beds up to 12 inches. It is very easy to install and quick to assemble without using any tools.
- High-quality durable framework with a lifetime warranty.
- The height of the top bed rail can be adjusted up to 4 inches.
- It can work with a low-level bed.
- Quick and easy to install.
- It has a powerful LED motion sensing light.
- It has a high-quality bed frame anchor strap.
- It is not as lightweight as the other bed rails mentioned in this list.
- The cost is slightly overpriced.
7. MGrip Adjustable Contoured Bed Rail
MGrip Contoured Bed Rails by MedPro are constructed to assist you in remaining comfortable in bed and feel independent. This bed rail for adults possesses an extraordinary M shape that provides multiple gripping positions to you.
The MGrip’s foam structured grip helps you in comfortably repositioning while sleeping. It helps in safely transferring you in or out of your bed, preventing any accidental slippage or fall. MGrip’s bed rail for seniors has two height settings with crossbars that assist in preventing entanglement. It also comes with an adjustable strap that can adapt to fit all kinds of mattresses.
- Provides multiple gripping positions because of its unique shape.
- It has a soft foam contoured handle.
- It comes with two height adjustments.
- The straps are also provided with steel buckles.
- The weight capacity is about 300 lbs.
- Not as lightweight as others.
- You will need tools and illustrated instructions to assemble it.
- Its height is about 18 inches to 20 inches. So, the height isn’t as high and it can work with moderate level beds.
8. Medokare Bed Rails for Elderly – Hospital Grade Safety Bed Rail
This bed rail provides support and security to those elders who use slat bed beds, flat-panel beds, or even sleigh beds. It comes with strong anchoring straps to prevent any accidental space between the handle and your mattress.
The frame of this bed rail is metallic and the parts are quite easy to assemble without using any tools. It also includes a handy pouch bag that can be attached to any wooden or metallic cane. It conveniently folds into a compact form which makes it very portable for you.
- It is very affordable.
- It is easy to use, assemble, and install.
- The pouch is made of high-quality nylon.
- The frame is very durable as it is constructed from heavy-duty powder-coated steel.
- It weighs only 6 lbs. Hence, it is lightweight and portable.
- It can’t work with adjustable beds.
- The handle isn’t padded.
9. RMS Dual Bed Rail – Adjustable Height Bed Assist Rail, Bed Side Handrail
This is the best bed rails for elderly if your loved one sleeps in a twin-sized or full-sized bed. The frame of this rail is made of high-quality sturdy metal, featuring unique non-slip padding around its handle. This bed rail is completely retractable so that you are able to customize it according to the dimensions of your bed.
These rails are made for both sides of the bed so if you’re someone you like to sleep alone, this bed rail may be the one for you. It is very easy to install and assemble. It can fit mattresses up to 58 inches. The handles are made of soft foam to provide you with comfortable soft padding. There are three bars that are adjustable in height. It helps you in getting out of bed without any problem.
- Made for both sides of the bed.
- It can extend up to 58 inches.
- The handles have slip-free padding in them.
- The frame is made of premium quality that offers you long term durability.
- It has a retractable bed rail.
- It has three adjustable bars.
- It is not lightweight.
- Only convenient for a full-sized or twin-sized bed.
- No safety straps provided for added support.
10. Vaunn Medical Bed Rail Assist & Height Adjustable
This affordable bed rail comes with an easy secure grip that helps you in getting in and out of your bed. The weight capacity is about 300 lbs and the frame of Vaunn Medical Bed Rail is made from high-quality premium steel to give you all the support and protection you need.
The height is adjustable and it comes with a stretchable pouch. It is very lightweight and portable. The height can be adjusted to about 18 inches and it can fit beds of any dimension. The length is about 28 inches and it can work with any bed that is above the height of 15 to 17 inches.
- The weight capacity is higher than most of the bed rails.
- It is very affordable.
- It is constructed to fit even the twin-sized or full-sized beds.
- The weight of this product is only 6 lbs.
- The handle has slip-resistant soft foam padding.
- A nylon pouch is provided for your necessary items.
- They are equipped with horizontal stabilizer bars.
- It cannot work with lower-level beds.
- It does not provide any safety straps.
1. Does Medicare Cover The Cost Of Bed Rails For Seniors?
According to Medicare Part B, all the “durable medical equipment” should be covered by your insurance. But they generally don’t cover the equipment that is permanently installed in your house. If they are prescribed by your doctor, then they may consider it but most of the time it’s quite hard to get money from Medicare for bed rails.
Nevertheless, the rules and regulations of Medicare are different in every state. Therefore, it will be best for you to check what is covered by your insurance before finalizing your decision.
2. How High Should A Bed Be For An Elderly Person?
Beds that are too high or too low can be very dangerous for older people or even adults who suffer from mobility problems. Even the bed rails for adults shouldn’t be at a very high level, this can lead to suffocation and a feeling of entrapment.
This is why the height of your bed rails should be only about three to four inches higher than your bed. Your bed must be of moderate height, somewhere between 18 to 21 inches. This is a safer option for disabled people, adults who have permanent or temporary mobility problems, patients with arthritis, or the seniors.
3. Is An Enclosure Bed, Side Rails, Or Double-Sided Rails A Restraint?
Legally speaking, the decision of concluding bed rails as a restraint or not depends on the intent of the person. If your intent is to trap the person so that they wouldn’t be able to get out of the bed, then that will be considered a restraint. But if your intention to raise the bars was just to protect the person from falling, then the bed rails will not be termed as a “restraint.”
The intent is decided by your actions. If an accident occurs and you get sued, then the height of the rails can be a deciding factor to finalize if you entrapped the injured person or not. This is why you should always keep the height at a moderate level.
4. How Often Should Bed Rails Be Checked?
You must check and examine your bed rails frequently. It must be done to see if the handles are still secure enough or if there is an unwanted space between the mattress and the bars. You should also see if you are comfortable with the bars being at different heights.
This assessment must be done at least once per week. It is very essential to avoid any accidents.
Overall, bed rails are great for elderly and adults with definitive mobility problems. They can make their lives easier and the caregivers can also relax, knowing that their loved ones are safe and protected while they are sleeping. This guide will certainly help you in finding the best match for your elderly, depending on their needs and budget.